Holiday decorations are festive for the holidays, but they can also be dangerous. Keep your home safe for the holidays and avoid any mishaps with these safety tips!
- Inspect your lights! Make sure there aren’t any loose or frayed wires that may pose a risk for fire and electrocution. The same goes for extension cords.
- Do not string more than three strands of lights together. You may blow a fuse.
- Only use indoor lights inside and outdoor lights outside.
- Look for lights that have been approved by a national testing lab. That way you ensure that they’ve been tested for safety.
- Keep your Christmas tree hydrated! A dry Christmas tree is a fire hazard. If you notice dry brittle needles that easily fall off, it’s time to get rid of the tree.
- Keep a minimum of a three-foot perimeter around heat sources to reduce any fire hazards.
- Do not leave any flames unattended. Whether it’s the stove, fireplace, or a candle, always stay in the room if you’re using a flame. And keep a fire extinguisher on hand just in case!
- Keep candles away from the tree.
- Make sure your smoke detectors are in proper working order.
- Turn off all the holiday lights when you go to bed.
- Keep sharp, heavy, and small objects out of reach for children and pets. We suggest at least 6 inches out of reach.
- Keep your tree away from walkways. It can be a tripping hazard and can easily topple over.
- Avoid any edible decorations if you have small children and/or pets.
- Avoid using lights on a metallic tree. They pose risk for electrocution!
- Look for flame-resistant decorations.
SBR Roofing would like to wish you and your family a safe and happy holiday season! Located in Burbank, California, we serve the greater Los Angeles area’s commercial roofing, decking, and solar panel needs. Contact us for more information!