The National Fire Protection Agency reports an estimated 20,090 annual commercial fires which occur in office buildings, high rises, and commercial properties. With a number so high, it becomes imperative to protect your property from fire risk.
If you want to ensure that your business doesn’t go down in flames (literally!), take these precautionary measures:
- Check the perimeter of the building for flammable debris or liquids. These include paper, wood, trash, propane, and other fuel tanks.
- Make sure that the exterior landscape is well-maintained. Weeds grow and burn quickly while mature shrubbery is pretty much fire-resistant.
- Collect all flammable debris or liquids that are inside the building and store safely away. Flammables should be stored in the appropriate containers so that they don’t fuel the fire.
- Have qualified contractors install or repair wiring in your building. Extension cords and motorized equipment should also be well-maintained and used properly.
- Acquire a fire extinguisher and keep it in each reach in the building.
- Check all smoke detectors regularly using the ‘Test’ button. Install more smoke alarms if necessary.
- Examine the internal sprinklers at least twice a year.
- Hire professionals to clean the gutters regularly.
With proper checks and maintenance, your building can stand the test of time! In addition to fire prevention, keep your property damage free from top to bottom! For all of your commercial roofing, contact SBR Roofing in Pasadena, California.